Saturday, December 7, 2013

Sweet Saturday Review {12 Gifts for Christ}

Hey everyone! It is
"Sweet Saturday Review"
 
and boy do I have the perfect Christmas book for you and your family. I'm actually really excited about 12 Gifts For Christ by Merrilee Boyack. It is a book filled with Traditions, Activities, And Devotionals for a Christ-Centered Christmas. I'm pretty sure this was the perfect book for me at this time. There is a lot going on in my life at the moment so I'm grateful I had the opportunity in reading this beautifully written story.
 
 
About:
 
Christmas is a time for celebrating the birth of Christ and a time for giving. In the middle of this busy season, it is easy to forget the very reason why we celebrate. The first Christmas began with gifts of light and gold. This Christmas, ask: What gifts can I give to Him?
In 12 Gifts for Christ, author Merrilee Boyack suggests ways we can give to the Savior, including having gratitude, sharing through service, and loving others. With examples of these gifts shared through personal stories, scriptures, activities, and family home evening lessons, she suggests presenting those gifts to Christ in letters placed in stockings or brightly wrapped boxes. Following the ideas of this book will truly add joy to the spirit in our hearts and homes during Christmas!
 

Product Details:

Size: 5" x 7"
Pages: 112

About the Author:
 
Merrilee Boyack is a crazed woman who loves eating out and taking naps when she can. She is an estate-planning attorney who conducts her law practice from home. She graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in business management—finance, and from University of Santa Clara Law School. Merrilee is also a professional lecturer, featured for many years at BYU Education Week, and a published author. Her interests include reading, camping, talking, eating, and helping children in Africa. She’s now a pesco-vegetarian and is having to relearn how to cook!

She is the author of several books and talks, including The Parenting Breakthrough, Strangling Your Husband Is Not an Option; Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy; and her most recent, In Trying Times, Just Keep Trying. Merrilee and her husband, Steve, reside in Poway, California, and have four sons, one grandson, and a granddaughter on the way!
 
In my opinion:
 
This book was marvelous and had some really good ideas for family home evenings, family devotionals and personal study. Each chapter focuses on a gift you can gift to Christ. Of course, you don't have to do this strictly in December. It can be done year round. But, the main purpose is to create a Christ-centered Christmas.
 
I made notes as I was reading and a few things mentioned were just for me. First, "Do we remember Him always? For me, remembering Christ means that in that moment when I'm temped to continue sinning, I stop. I think of Him and how He has suffered for my sins and I decide in that moment not to add another sin to His suffering." I'm sure we don't mean to sin but that struck me. I don't want to add more to His suffering. So, I  want to remember Christ always so that when I'm about to sin, I could just stop and think about a different direction to go.
 
Also, I loved Jeffrey R Holland's quote, "I don't know what things may be troubling you personally, but, even knowing how terrific you are and how faithfully you are living, I would be surprised if someone somewhere weren't troubled by a transgression or the temptation of transgression. To you, wherever you may be, I say, Come unto him and lay down your burden. Let him lift the load. Let him give peace to your soul. Nothing in this world is more burdensome than sin....You can change." That is perfectly said. We all go through trials but we can always turn to the Lord and he will lighten our load.
 
I'm excited about the FHE ideas. I haven't been strict in having Family home evening so I'm excited to try the ideas found in 12 Gifts for Christ. My family always had FHE on Sundays so I think that will work for my little family. The ideas are simple yet meaningful.
 
Other quotes that I enjoyed were, "What if every day in our morning prayers, we promised to emulate the Savior in some way...and then at the end of the day, we held ourselves accountable and reported back to Heavenly Father on how we did? Great idea! Or how about, "Joy comes in all forms, but it mostly comes in small things and in small ways. Throughout the coming week, grab hold of those little joyful moments. Share them with the Savior." That is a great way to become closer to the Savior.
 
I absolutely loved this book. It was a quick read. I especially liked the artwork on the front by James C Christensen. My mom was roommates with his wife so that is a fun tidbit you didn't know about me and my family. Beautifully written and well done. My thanks go out to Merrilee Boyack and all of her wonderful and brilliant ideas.
 
Hope you get your copy today...{HERE}.
 
Disclaimer: I received one or more of the products or services for free in the hope that I would mention them on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews