Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Try it Tuesday & Review {The Knitted Slipper book}

Welcome to a week of Knitting books. I have three awesome knitting books to share with all of you and hope you enjoy reading the "about" section as well as my personal opinion.

Today on
"Try it Tuesday & Review,"
I wanted to share with you
The Knitted Slipper Book.


Its that time of year to warm up your feet with some fun knitting shoes. I love the Fall especially when the leaves change color and fall to the ground. I love wearing lots of layers and bundling up with a blanket. I love hot chocolate and I absolutely LOVE wearing slippers. So, this was the perfect book for me to check out.



 
 
From Baby to Mom & Dad, Keep Their Feet Comfy, Covered, and 
Totally Cool with Knitted Slippers and House Shoes


 

About: 
 
At the end of a long, hard day, nothing feels as good as sliding your feet into a warm, soft pair of slippers. With the projects inside The Knitted Slipper Book:
Slippers and House Shoes for the Entire Family, every member of your family, from grandpa to the wee little ones, can wiggle their toes in a pair of knitted, super-cuddly house shoes. Author Katie Startzman shares thirty of her fun designs for a variety of styles sure to please: the moccasin, mukluk, clog, boot, ballet flat, slip-on, and Mary Jane. And she ensures success, even for first-timers, by providing detailed, step-by-step photos of the techniques necessary for crafting a well-made shoe, including felting, shaping, and sizing soles, lining, and insoles, and thrumming and adorning with tassels, pompoms, and other trim. Startzman has also created video tutorials that cover these topics and enhance the reading experience. This everything-you-need-to-know guide is sure to become the go-to resource for knitting handmade slippers and house shoes.
 
About the author:
 
Katie Startzman writes about knitting and other crafts-including making her own leather sandals and building a chicken coop in the backyard-on her blog, Duofiberworks.com. She has been self-publishing individual knitting patterns and selling them from her blog and on Ravelry for more than four years.
 
In my opinion:
 
I don't know about you but I love reading the Introduction of a knitting book first. I know many of us may whip through the pages to see the different projects but I like to get to know the author. And, the best way to do that is to read her personal story. I learned that her mother let her children make messes which actually is something I struggle with. I like cleanliness and order but sometimes we need to let our hair down and let our children play and mess up the home (to an extent of course).
 
 Also, Katie said, "Slippers are nice to wear on Saturday mornings, curled up by the woodstove, but they aren't just winter-weather warmers. Many people prefer to remove their shoes at the door of their homes, keeping outside grime out of their living space, and the slippers in this book serve as excellent house shoes." That is so true! I have noticed that when guests come to my house, they always ask if they need to take off their shoes. I tell them whatever makes them most comfortable. I think they too like wearing socks or bare feet in the home. I never wear shoes in the house. I love my slippers or warm socks.
 
Furthermore, Katie has come up with a variety of slippers to knit. She also provides instructions on soling. I've always wanted to learn how to create soles. "Slippers with soles are more durable and less slippery than those without soles." Perfect! Let's get to work!
 
Also, in The Knitted Slipper Book, there are two parts. Part One: Materials and Basic Techniques. This first part talks about choosing a style, choosing yarn, gauge for felting, sizing and fit, felting, felting by hand and different ways of soling. Part Two is all about the projects. There are 30 total projects. Fireside booties are genius shoes because they  warm the feet and the ankles. The sleepy friends slippers are super adorable. "A fox and rabbit find sleepy harmony on little feet." Some other projects include Mary Janes, Clogs and Ballet Slippers. Katie even created some Beaded leather moccasins and Loafers to wear around the home or town. The photos of each slipper are fantastic. And the slippers are organized by type-Traditional, Loafers and scuffs, flats, boots, Children and babies. Overall, I'm excited about The knitted Slipper book and can't wait to knit some new slippers for the entire family. But, be aware that the "shoes are bound to inspire puttering, curling up on the couch and crossword puzzles."
 
I would also love to share a "new book trailer created by author Katie Startzman, who has a new book publishing on October 8, called The Knitted Slipper Book. Her charming short trailer will enchant you with a story of slipper-making and love, and we are sure it will put a smile on your face! Be sure to check out the sets, which Katie built by hand from wool and cardboard. Her husband, Michael, directed, edited and shot the video frame by frame. Where else might you find a video that includes knitting, slippers, cuckoo clocks, fireplaces, cats and yetis?"


Who wants to win a copy of The Knitted Slipper Book?
Do you know someone who loves to knit? Do you knit?
 
HOW TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY?
 
 
Disclaimer: I received one or more of the products or services for free in the hope that I would mention them on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews