Thursday, October 3, 2013

Try it Thursday & Review {The Yarn Whisperer by Clara Parkes}

If you haven't noticed, this week is ALL about knitting.
 
Don't you just love to knit? Well, some may crochet which is fine but I would rather knit to be honest.
 
Today, I have an excellent book to share called,
The Yarn Whisperer.
 
 
It is seriously the best book about knitting experiences ever. I absolutely LOVED it!
You don't have to knit to be able to read it but it does help.
 
 
About:
 
"Clara Parkes, predictably, has wound us another winner." - Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
 
Clara Parkes – renowned knitter, author and founder of KnittersReview.com – ponders the role knitting plays in her life via 22 simultaneously captivating, poignant, and laugh-out-loud funny essays, proving that she is, in fact, the David Sedaris of the knitting world. Spinning masterful yarns of childhood and adulthood, she tells of eccentric relatives and the abrupt steek of divorce, of trying to make her puffy stitches fit within France's smooth fabric, of coming out as a knitter and eventually cutting herself free from Silicon Valley to lead a more creative life on the coast of Maine. Throughout, she draws clever parallels between what happens around us and what we see on our needles, revealing universal truths that will touch knitters and non-knitters alike. Put simply, "For life really is a stitch. It has a beginning, a mid-point, and an end. It serves a purpose, and if we're lucky, it creates something  far greater than the sum of its parts."
Listen to an excerpt from The Yarn Whisperer, read by Clara herself, here!
 
Tour Dates & Venues Include:

October 10 at 7pm - Seattle area, Third Place Books

October 11 at 6pm - San Francisco, CA Book Passage

October 12 at 4pm - Portland, OR Powell's Books

October 13 at 2pm - Pasadena, CA Vroman's Bookstore, featuring a special appearance of the Yarnover Truck!

October 14 at 7:30pm - Denver, CO Tattered Cover

October 15 at 7pm - Minneapolis area The Bookcase

October 16 at 6pm - Chicago, IL Sulzer Library (with books provided by The Book Cellar)

October 17 at 6:30pm - Nashville, TN Parnassus Books (with support from beloved Nashville yarn shop Bliss Yarns)

October 19 from 9am-5pm - Rhinebeck, NY New York Sheep & Wool Festival (with books provided by Merritt Books)

October 24 at 7pm - Portland, ME Longfellow Books

 
In my opinion:
I truly loved this book! Parkes was hilarious and very entertaining. I will definitely read this book again and again when I need a good laugh. I connected straight away to Parkes. She was a fabulous writer and explained things so well.  
 
Oh how I wish she was coming to the Salt Lake City area. I would love to meet her! She is now one of my idols. Her writing is simply amazing and I don't say that a lot. I have my favorite authors and now Parkes is one of them. I felt like I was apart of her knitting world when I was reading her experiences and stories. Each chapter had a different experience that connected to knitting. I love learning about an individuals life and I was able to look into her life and read her thoughts. I was a little upset when it ended because I wanted more stories and essays.
 
Believe me, this is a book you won't want to pass up. Of course, it does help if you knit to understand the knitting language. But, I'm sure you could keep up and be entertained as well.
 
ONE OF MY FABULOUS READERS WILL WIN A COPY OF THE YARN WHISPERER
 
HOW TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY?
 
a Rafflecopter giveaway  
 
Disclaimer: I received one or more of the products or services for free in the hope that I would mention them on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
 
 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews