Saturday, September 28, 2013

Try it Thursday & Review {Janitors by Tyler Whitesides}

It is another wonderful week of
"Try it Thursday & Review."
 
Have you ever wondered about the janitors in your school? I remember my janitor like it was yesterday. His name was Charlie and he always said hi to me as if he remembered me. I'm pretty sure he did because he was the janitor at my Elementary School as well as my High School. Do you remember your janitors? What were they like? Did they have magical vacuums or mops?
 
Well, I was lucky enough to review Janitors Books 1-3 by Tyler Whitesides and it was definitely worth my time.
 
 
About Janitors:
 
"Janitors is very exciting! It has lots of surprises and plenty of magic. I'm screaming to read book 2!"
 
 — Erica, age 10 "I like Janitors a lot! It's a stay-up-late-and-read-until-I-finish-it kind of book." —
 
 Davin, age 11 "I see creatures in the school," Spencer insisted. "Some are slimy, some are furry, some have wings. I don't know why the rest of you can't see them. I'm trying to figure that out. I don't want to freak you guys out, but I had to tell you what I've seen."Dead silence.Then, like an avalanche: laughter. 
 
No one takes Spencer Zumbro seriously when he tried to warn his classmates about the mysterious things prowling the halls and classrooms of Welcher Elementary School. But when he sees Marv, the janitor, going after one of the creatures with a vacuum, he knows he's not the only one who can see them. With the help of his new friends, Daisy, Spencer has to find out what the janitors know. The children's search uncovers the magic taking place behind the scenes of their seemingly ordinary school, where a battle is being waged for the minds of the students. Who can be trusted - and can Spencer and Daisy protect their school and possibly the world?

 
 
About Janitors: Secrets of New Forest Academy:

Spencer stood up, anxiously scanning the library for movement. Instinctively, his hand reached into his backpack to grip a small Ziploc bag of magical vacuum dust. Spencer turned a slow circle, eyes flicking from bookshelf to bookshelf. The students were showing all the signs—so where were the Toxites? Now more than ever, Spencer, Daisy, and even Dez must fight to save schools everywhere. Toxites, the small creatures that love to feed on the brain waves of students, are just the beginning of their troubles. The Bureau of Educational Maintenance (BEM) is after Spencer, and the Rebels hope to sneak him to safety within the walls of an elite private school. But danger follows Spencer and his friends, testing their loyalty and trust as well as their Toxite-fighting skills. Can they hold out long enough to discover the true secret of New Forest Academy and what it means to the future of education?



 

About Janitors: The Curse of the Broomstaff:
 
A secret society of Janitors with wizard-like powers continue their battle, and now, the stakes are even higher. The Bureau of Educational Maintenance is after Alan Zumbro and this time they mean business, deadly business. Spencer, Daisy, and their little team of rebels must find the source of all magical Glop and destroy it before it can destroy the world as we know it. No small task with the BEM and their monster toxites at their heels. It s a wild and dangerous ride as they follow the trail of clues all the way to the hiding place of the mysterious aurans: guardians of a secret landfill. What they discover there will change the way Spencer sees himself, not to mention the fate of the rebels.
 

The digital books are on sale – yes, the ebooks! We have Amazon.com specials running for September with the Janitors series.
   
September Pricing:
 
Book One                   $0.99
Book Two                  $1.99
Book Three                $7.99

About the author:

 Tyler Whitesides worked as a janitor at a middle school to put himself through college. It was there that he discovered the many secrets and mysteries that can be hidden in a dusty school. Tyler graduated from Utah State University with a degree in music. He enjoys spending time in the mountains, cooking on the barbecue, and vacuuming. Tyler lives in Logan, Utah, with his wife, Connie, a third-grade teacher. Janitors is his first novel.
 
In my opinion:
 
Janitors by Tyler Whitesides is another fantastic series both for the young and the old. These books reminded me of Brandon Mull's Candy Shop War books. Both authors are equally clever in their own way. Whitesides created a fun and magical school with interesting characters, secrets and mysteries. I became very protective of Spencer and Daisy. They were super brave and showed courage as they fought monsters.
 
I always tend to like the first book in a series. However, Book Three: The Curse of the Broomstaff was equally exciting. The characters followed clues to the big battle that occurred in the secret landfill. There was more action and adventure in Book Three. But, I do recommend reading all three books to get all of the details. Again in Book Three, the characters use mops, brooms, and other janitorial equipment to destroy the toxites and save education. What is more exciting than that?
 
Also, each book had a different location which made it fun to read. I especially loved the cleaning tools that were used for weapons. Who would have thought that cleaning supplies could be so much fun? These books were definitely not boring and had a lot of action. I recommend the series to anyone in Middle School who loves fantasy and parents who want to read along with their children. I'm looking forward to reading these books to my son when he gets older.
 
 Whitesides was a genius and a very clever writer. And I loved the message from the author that said, "And I must admit, this is definitely the trashiest book I've ever written. No, literally. This book is full of garbage. That is hilarious! I hope you all enjoy Janitors Books 1-3.
 
One of my lucky readers will win Janitors:The Curse of the Broomstaff (Book 3).
 
HOW TO ENTER THE GIVEAWAY?
{This is a Rafflecopter giveaway so please be patient}
 
 
Disclaimer: I received one or more of the products or services for free in the hope that I would mention them on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews