Friday, April 12, 2013

Feature Friday {Mod Podge Kids' Washout and Apple Barrel Paint}


Today, I wanted to show you a fun DIY project you can do with your kids. I was given a box of craft supplies from Plaid crafts with some instructions to create a kids craft.  I was super excited about the opportunity and thought it would be perfect for my fun little blog. I received a variety of fun colors of Apple Barrel paint as well as a bottle of Mod Podge Washout.
BTW: These products can be found at Michael's or your local craft store. Apple Barrel Paints come in a variety of colors. They are versatile, all purpose acrylic craft paint. They are great for family activities and kid's projects. They can easily be cleaned up with soap and water while they are still wet.

Mod Podge Washout is pretty addicting because you will want to use it on all of your crafts. It is the same great forumula as Mod Podge Gloss but washes out of clothing and furniture with soap and water, even when dry. It is great for moms and teachers. It is machine washable-no pre-soak needed.

Let the fun begin!


I thought A LOT about the type of project my  2 1/2 year old son could manage.  I decided on a wooden box to store his magnets. And of course I needed to make new magnets for him to play with. I tend to go overboard but I wanted it perfect for my little guy. So, we were off to Hobby Lobby to search for a box. I found the perfect box and received 40% off as well. AWESOME! I also purchased some magnet sheets and Stickerland Activity pads from Walmart. When I have an idea in my head, I have to go for it.

 

 Step 1: Find a clean surface and start painting the top of the box with the color of your choice. We used the pretty blue color and Eli had so much fun. I know that the paint can be cleaned up easily but I still had Eli wear an old shirt. I also taped a white trash bag to the work surface for easy cleanup.



I also taped the handle so it wouldn't get paint on it. Yes, I'm a clean freak.

Step 2: The letters from the stencil pack popped right out so I decided to use a few to spell my son's name.  After the paint has dried (about an hour), use the Mod Podge Washout to keep the letters in place. It had a glossy finish so we used it on all sides of the box.


Step 3: While you wait for the mod podge to dry, stick some stickers onto a full magnet sheet.


Step 4: Use scissors to cut around the magnets.


Step 5: Cut some background pictures (from the Stickerland Activity Pads) to fit inside the wooden box. Also, cut the magnet sheets to the same size as the background pictures.


Step 6: Remove the white paper from the magnet sheets and attach the background picture.



Step 6: Let your child test out the magnets while you wait for the box to dry.



Step 7: Paint the inside of the wooden box.


Step 8: After the box has dried, insert the fun new magents.



Step 9: Now your son or daughter has a fun activity and a new box to store them in.



 It's almost Summer so I'm sure you will need some fun and creative projects for your kids. Be sure to pick up some Mod Podge Washout and Apple Barrel Paint. The possibilities are endless...

Check out these for more craft ideas.

Here are some other fun projects by some creative bloggers: 



 
This post was written as part of a campaign with The Blueprint Social. All opinions are my own.
 
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea. Thanks for sharing Emilee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The box turned out cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun craft! Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews