Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sweet Tutorials

Hey bloggers...it's Emilee from Sweetly Made (Just for you). I have a wonderful "Sweet Tutorial" for you today. I know summer is starting but I thought I would show you how to make a winter scarf in case you need an idea for Christmas. Each year, it seems that the holiday sneaks up on us so....are you ready to learn how to make a beautiful scarf  for your friend, yourself or a family member???


Yes, that is me! My talented sister took a few photos of me modeling my knitted scarf and headband. These scarfs are super warm and I'm sure you can imagine yourself in one. Well, not quite yet because I'm sure the sun is out and you are ready for summer to begin. However, the scarf will be waiting for you once the snow falls. And if you live in Utah or anywhere with all four seasons...I'm sure you will need one. So get ready, follow along and start knitting.  Here is my sweet tutorial on a knitted scarf.


 This pattern is pretty basic-Row 1-K2, P2 (Knit 2 stitches and purl 2 stitches). Row 2-P2, K2. Repeat these two rows till you have the desired length. My scarf is 80" long. That's it? Yep! It is that simple. However, pay attention in the beginning because it is hard to tell if you are on a knit stitch or a purl stitch. I'm not sure what type of yarn I used since I bought it a few years ago but I bought it at Joann's. I think it was in the 2 pound section. It has lasted a very long time. 

~Note~Once you get going, you will notice the knit stitch looks like a V and sort of pops out in front. The purl stitch is a ~ and doesn't pop out.


 First, cast on 22 stitches onto size 6 mm (U.S. 10) knitting needles. You will need an even number since the pattern is k2, p2. So, if you don't like the width, change it to 20, 18, 16, etc. This pattern is very flexible!


Don't you love this yarn? Be sure to find some fun yarn to work with but don't cast on your stitches too tightly.


Then do Row 1-K2, P2 (knit 2 stitches, purl 2 stitches). Do you remember how to do this? If not, check out my other tutorial {HERE}.


Here you will notice that I just knitted 2 stitches (shown above).


Then I put the yarn in front of the needle to do 2 purl stitches.


Here is my first row.


I did a couple of rows. Right now, it is difficult to see the purl and knit stitches but once you get going, you will definitely notice. Be sure to pay attention to what you are doing so that the end product looks like the picture below...



Whoops! How did this photo get in here? Oh well, isn't he adorable? He woke up so I had to stop my sweet tutorial to play with him.


Here is what your scarf should start to look like. Of course, this is my old scarf so you can tell it has been worn A LOT. Anyway, keep going till you have the desired length. Again, my scarf is 80 inches long so you can continue the pattern till you are satisfied. I made one of these scarfs for one of my nieces so I had to change it up a bit. Hope you have fun and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews