Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sweet Tutorials

Hey bloggers...it's Emilee from Sweetly Made (Just for you). Are you ready to pick up your knitting needles and join me for another exciting week of "Sweet tutorials." Please show me the love by leaving a comment or two.

Today, I'm going to teach you how to do ribbing. This is actually how I start most of my Christmas stockings. Ooh, doesn't that make you happy to talk about Christmas? Well, it makes me all giddy inside. I know it is only April but it is never too early to make your own Christmas gifts. Speaking of Christmas...I will be putting together some PDF Christmas Stocking patterns once I get the program so stay tuned...

Anyway, ribbing is simply knitting two stitches, purling two stitches and repeating till the end of the row (K2, P2). Sound easy? Of course it is. This is what it will look like...


Start by casting on (CO) 20 stitches or so for you to practice ribbing. I normally will cast on 60 stitches when I do any sort of ribbing but that is mainly for my Christmas stockings. Be sure to do an even number of stitches.


Next, knit two stitches. Do you remember how to knit? If not, see pictures below.





 
Now, bring the yarn forward to begin a purl stitch.

Purl two stitches


You should have four stitches on your right needle. You are doing great so far!
Continue to knit two stitches and purl two stitches till you are finished with the row. Try and see the difference between a purl and knit stitch. The knit stitch looks like a V and sort of pops out in front. The purl stitch is a ~ and doesn't pop out. As you continue to K2, P2 each row you will begin to see the differences. Also, if you practice with red heart yarn, it will be easier to recognize. Once you are experienced, try different yarn. Practice, practice, practice because we have a fun project to do next week. I'm sure you will get it done by Christmas...hint...hint...




FYI-I do about seven or eight rows of ribbing for my Christmas stockings. However, if you are practicing, do as many as you want. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again for following along my "Sweet tutorial." Also, let me know what you would like me to show you or if you have any advice, comments, etc I'd love to hear your thoughts. Until next time...


1 comment:

  1. You do beautiful work! I love to knit, but furniture work always pulls me away in the spring. :-) Thanks for visiting Red Hen Home!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews